Pathways to Health Careers Camp
The Pathways to Health Careers one-week summer day camp is open to 30 rising 8th or 9th graders from Durham and surrounding counties. The camp schedule runs from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm.
Students are introduced to the exciting world of health careers through hands-on activities, field trips, tours, and testimonials from practicing health care providers!
During the week, students will interact with healthcare providers at Duke as well as explore health professions training programs at area universities or colleges.
2017 Camp Dates: June 19 – 23, 2017
Application period is now open! Applications should be submitted electronically here. Applications will be accepted until April 13, 2017. Each applicant must submit a teacher/counselor recommendation form to be considered for the camp.
Please contact Alicia Gonzalez at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the summer camp.
Camp Details & Application Requirements:
- Camp will be held from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm each day of the camp (depending on travel for the day)
- Students are expected to participate in the entire week of camp. If you cannot attend the entire 5 days, please do not submit an application.
- A parent or guardian must drop-off and pick-up students at the designated times above.
- Camp is open to students, who live in Durham County or a neighboring county. Out-of-state applications are not accepted.
- A completed application form should be received in the Duke AHEC Program office before April 13, 2017
- All applicants must have one (1) teacher or counselor recommendations. Please provide this link to the teacher or counselor who will provide a recommendation.
- Upon acceptance, pay $175 registration fee. A limited number of scholarships will be considered.
Community Summer Programs
Below are other health careers or STEM-related summer programs in and around Durham County that may be of interest to you:
- iD Tech – iD Tech Camps is the ideal blend of STEM learning and traditional summer camp fun. Camp locations at NC State University, UNC Chapel Hill, and Davidson College.
- Museum of Life and Science offers Science, Chemistry, and Robotics camps for K-12.
- Summer Public Health Symposium at UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health – Open to high school students. This program exposes participants to the field of public health and the impact of public health issues that directly affects communities and individuals.
- Duke University Continuing Studies Youth Programs offers a variety of summer enrichment camps for middle to high school students.
- Black Girls Code offers a summer camp in Raleigh. Check their website for more information.
- Campbell University Pharmacy & Health Sciences Discovery Days for rising 9th to 12th graders
June 14, 2016 and July 19, 2016.
- NC State University VetCAMP – VetCAMP (Veterinary Camp) is a five day summer camp program that offers an opportunity for High School students interested in the field of veterinary medicine. The camp is designed for students who are interested in becoming veterinary healthcare professionals and provides a preview into the real and vast fields of veterinary medicine. Through presentations, demonstrations, laboratories, visits, and in-depth, hands-on activities students will discover what modern veterinary medicine is all about.